Wednesday 21 November 2012

One Good Turn....


With all the dreadful weather we have had recently, the cottage has luckily escaped the storm and flood damage so many have endured. Today, the rain finally stopped and the sun came out, but the wind is bitterly cold.

Early this morning, a good friend of mine telephoned. We were supposed to be going to the market today but she had to cancel. She told me that one of their trees had come down, knocking another one which was now partly up rooted and hanging over the driveway.Once the children were in school, they were going to pull it down. After putting the phone down, I grabbed my coat, wooly hat and gloves, my wellies...and a homemade lemon drizzle cake and went to their house. My idea was to help keep the workers supplied with tea and coffee.

They were surprised to see me, as was I, because the workers turned out to be my friend, her husband and her seventy year old father in law. So, I got stuck in too, helping to pull down the dangerous tree, and cutting and barrowing away hundreds and hundreds of logs. It was hard work but also, it was great fun, though I have a feeling my shoulders will be suffering tomorrow.

This evening, there was a knock on my door and it was my friend and her husband. They had brought me a trailer full of logs as a thank you for all my help. I was totally speechless, as I didnt help out to get a reward, but I was very grateful. It will keep me and my daughter warm for a while.

It has reinforced in me what I have always believed, that kindness begets kindness. I have learned to not hesitate to be good, kind, and courteous to others, and I hope I have passed this on to my children.  I remember the saying

“I shall pass through this world but once. Any good therefore that I can 
do or any kindness that I can show any human being, let me do it now. 
Let me not defer or neglect it, for I shall not pass this way again” 
- Stephen Grellet

 Never underestimate the power of your benevolent actions. It will always come back to you. You can never tell when, but it will.

Love and Hugs
Phoebe x

No comments:

Post a Comment