Thursday 31 January 2013

On the Move


My life is a bit of a whirlwind of change at the moment. After Miss C. left home, this old house of mine if far too big and far to empty for one person. And..suffering badly from empty nest syndrome, I was wondering what to do with my time.

After long telephone conversations with my children, family and friends, and, after some arm twisting and some plotting behind my back I fear, I have come to a final decision.

For the next few months I will be living as a bit of a hobo. I'm going to give up this house, downsize, put my things in storage and travel the country visiting family and friends, some I haven't seen for years. I have four short weeks to get myself organised.

I have made a start. The hardest part is this down sizing. I'm a bit of a collector. For example, if I find an author I like, I have to read every book that person has written. But honestly, do I really need over 300 books....

When I lost both my parents a few years ago, I inherited many of their things. Many of them I didn't really need, and have been in the attic, gathering dust. I didn't have the heart to throw anything away. I thought by holding on to their things, I was somehow holding on to them. But, as time has passed, the pain of losing them has eased, and I'm ready to let go. My mother was very practical, and I really think she would be appalled that I was hanging on to things hiding them in boxes in darkness.  So, its time to let other people enjoy the things that gave her pleasure. Pictures, china, tea sets, dinner services, furniture and so much more, will be sold or given to Goodwill. Of course there are some things I will keep, things that I just cant bear to part with. So many photographs of the people I love, that are unique and part of my life. 

When my travels are over, I'm going to have to make a home again. But now, I think its time to let go of the past and start looking to the future. My children are grown, and what wonderful people they are. They have all persuaded me to do this, and are happy for me. I am so proud of them and I can actually say, I did a good job. Now is the time for me. I am looking forward to a fresh start and I know I will have a happy future.

So, I hope you will bear with me. I have so much to do in such a short time, but I will post when I can. I still have so much to say. And of course, I hope you will share my journey with me. Where we will go, I'm not too sure, but it will be fun finding out 

Love and Hugs 
Phoebe x

Photobucket

2 comments:

  1. Good for you! Sounds like lots of positive changes going on in your life. I will be following along with you on this journey. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Debbie..I really am quite excited x

      Delete