Thursday 8 August 2013

Elderflowers

I love my summer walks, I never know what I'm going to find. Today I was surprised and to find bush after bush of delicate looking elderflowers.

 


The season for them is so short. Usually by the end of July they have turned into the luscious red berries, so I was slightly amazed to find so many of them



When I lived in Wales, my daughter and I would go out and pick as many as we could and make them into delicious Elderflower Cordial. The heavily scented flowers make a wonderfully refreshing drink, which will 
keep for weeks. The recipe is so easy and quick, well worth the effort of collecting them

Elderflower Cordial


2 ¼ lbs sugar
6 cups boiling water
4 medium lemons, washed
30 large Elderflower heads, shake to remove any insects
2 oz citric acid, available from a chemist
  • Place the sugar into a large saucepan or a large bowl. 
  • Pour the boiling water over and stir until all the sugar has dissolved and leave to cool.
  • Grate the rind of the lemons with a fine grater, add to the sugar water.
  • Slice the lemons into thick slices and add to the water. 
  • Add the citric acid and stir 
  • Add the flower heads to the water and stir again.
  • Cover with a clean cloth and leave to steep for 48 hours.
  • Strain through clean fine muslin cloth into a clean bowl.
  • Using a funnel, fill sterilized bottles  
  • Seal and store in a cool, dark place for a few weeks or freeze in plastic bottles to keep for longer 
The cordial is delicious diluted with still or fizzy water or used as a flavouring in ice creams and fruit fools 

Love and Hugs
Phoebe x

Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment