Thursday 3 December 2015

Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas..

Christmas is always bittersweet for me. Although its my favourite time of the year...its also the time when I lost both my parents...two years apart. 

Eleven years ago today, mum and dad were on a pre Christmas trip visiting my brother and his young family the other side of the country. It had been a difficult two years for us all. Dad had been diagnosed with inoperable lung cancer and had been given less than six months to live. The chemotherapy had brought on  a stroke, from which he wasn't supposed to survive the night. But though his determination, and the tireless care of mum, he not only survived the stroke, but his cancer went into remission too. The trip to my brothers was the first vacation they had had for years


Mum hadn't felt well for a couple of days, but being the woman she was, said it was just a little bug. She never complained. She and my brother were standing, talking in the garden. Suddenly she looked at him and just said 'Oh Dear'. And down she went. Before the ambulance arrived, she had returned home to Heavenly Father. 

It was as quick as that. Looking after Dad had taken its toll as she had ignored her own health. We found cancelled appointments at the heart hospital, and indeed, as it turned out, every artery to her heart was blocked.

It all happened so fast I never got to say goodbye..and that affected me for a long time

But, in a phone call before they started their trip, she told me she loved me. She said how proud she was of me and the way I had handled my divorce. She praised the way I was bringing up my children. She said she would see me soon and we would have a wonderful Christmas. Remember, she said, Christmas isn't the time for sadness and we should make every one the best one yet. This has stuck with me to this day. 


Mum absolutely loved Christmas and always made it so special for us. We have so many wonderful memories. And although she is not here physically I still feel her presence, and I carry her in my heart...always.  Her legacy and love for this most wondrous time of the year continues...

And... I will have myself a Merry Little Christmas.....


This song always brings a lump to my throat and a tear to my eye..

and coincidentally its from one of mums favourite movies

Meet Me In St Louis.

Its a beautiful rendition from the incredible 

Miss Judy Garland


Love and Hugs
Phoebe x


5 comments:

  1. {{{Phoebe}}}} Sending much love my friend...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Phoebe, bless your sweet heart! Your mom sounded like such a loving and selfless lady - what a joy and blessing to have had her in your life. I truly hope your Christmas is extra special and beautiful dear one.

    Much love to you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for this post. My mom passed away very suddenly in October and I have been dreading the holidays. She, like your mom, loved Christmas and I will be inspired by your mother's words... Christmas isn't the time for sadness.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your Mom left so many happy memories and that is such a blessing. I can well understand when you say that Christmas is a bittersweet time for you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sweet photos of your Mum. I'm sorry for your loss.
    I lived with and was caregiver for both my parents before they went to their Heavenly Home. I miss them all the time, but especially at Christmas.

    ReplyDelete