Thursday 21 January 2016

Safety Issue...

I love my little walks. Even though I live in the city, there are some very pretty places and there is always something to take a photo of. Being from a small town in Wales, I am mindful that things are very different in the US. I make sure I stick to main roads and walk in 'respectable' areas. I have always felt safe

But things are changing...

Today I walked my usual route..albeit a little earlier because I wanted to get back and do some stitching. Two hours later...a couple were shot and fatally wounded right on the spot I had been walking!

Its the third incident near where I live in just over a week.. first during a home invasion where the owner was killed...and then two young men were shot just down the street by a suspected 'gang banger' Before then..three more shootings..including a policeman sitting in his car in the police station car park! And dont forget the mass shooting in San Bernadino..which is not too far from here

I have been living here just over a year. It wasnt like this when I first got here. Now I hear sirens all the time. Gun violence is virtually unheard of in the Uk and Im finding it increasingly worrying. I dont want it to stop my wanderings...but it is making me think twice about where I going to walk. Is anywhere really safe?

I wish hubbys work would make their mind up whether they are going to open a new plant or not.. That way we can move to a new town... and maybe a better community.

But I have to ask myself....Is anywhere really safe?

Love and Hugs
Phoebe x


5 comments:

  1. That is scary, and it's sad you have to even worry about things like that. I feel very safe in my neighborhood. Hope you can move to a safer area soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very scary....crime can happen anywhere, anytime and staying vigilant is the key, friend.

    We lived in San Diego when my husband was in the Marines and there were neighborhoods where one dared not walk or visit. I was just telling someone the other day, here, in western NY---people still leave keys in their cars and their house doors unlocked...just petty crime--nothing big here.

    Keeping you in prayer---be vigilant, Phoebe.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Phoebe, I'm so glad you were not at the wrong place at the wrong time! Places we used to consider safe are becoming less so. I live in a community that has had its share of issues but not near me. I hope your husband's work will move him to a safer place for you to live.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I missed this post yesterday but wanted to add my two cents. Here on the west coast of BC we have a big problem with drug dealers shooting at each other's houses, cars, even in broad daylight. One can never be 100% safe it seems. As I get older I'm more aware of my vulnerability too. I'm sure glad you were not in the wrong place yesterday!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Phoebe, sorry you have to go through that. I think every large city has problem areas. I am in Riverside Country so maybe an hour away from you? I pray you stay safe. Love your pictures.

    ReplyDelete